- ½ cup Crisco
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 2 organic eggs
- 1 ounce royal blue gel paste food color
- 2 drops violet gel paste food color
- 2 tablespoons Hershey’s cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons espresso powder
- 2 ¼ cups King Arthur all-purpose flour
- 1 scant teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup organic buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 4 tablespoons vodka
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour 3 8-inch round cake pans.
- Cream together Crisco, sugar and eggs.
- Make a paste of food coloring, espresso and cocoa and add to mixture.
- Add salt and flour with buttermilk and vanilla.
- Alternately add baking soda vodka and vinegar; just blend, don’t beat hard.
- Bake 25 minutes.
- Cool cake thoroughly before frosting.
2 eight ounce boxes cream cheese (room temp)
2 sticks salted butter
3 cups confectioner’s sugar
Place all ingredients except the vodka into the mixing bowl and whisk until well blended. Add vodka 1 tablespoon at a time until thinned to desired spreadable consistency.
(c) 2015 Valerie Renèe
You had me at vodka 🙂
LikeLiked by 2 people
Mmm…vodka. Looks so pretty too!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Gorgeous cake! How are you doing?