6 tbsp organic unsalted butter, cubed, at room temperature
2 tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
3 large organic eggs
3/4 cup King Arthur Organic all-purpose flour
3/4 cup cornmeal
6 tbsp rye flour
1 1/2 tbsp baking powder
1/2 cup + 1 tbsp canola oil
3 tbsp + 2 tsp maple syrup
1 cup + 2 tbsp buttermilk
1/2 cup diced Cheddar (cut into 1-in/2.5-cm cubes), plus 1/4 cup grated Cheddar
6 tbsp grated Parmesan
11 slices cooked bacon, coarsely chopped, plus 1 1/2 tbsp bacon fat, cooled
1/4 cup fresh chives, parsley, or a combo, finely chopped
Chopped rosemary for garnishing
1. Position a rack near the top of your oven and preheat to 400°F. Line two 12-cup muffin pans with 15 paper liners, spacing them evenly between the two pans.
2. In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter, sugar, and salt for 1 to 2 minutes until nice and fluffy. Incorporate the eggs slowly, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the all-purpose flour, cornmeal, rye flour, and baking powder and mix until incorporated. Add the canola oil, maple syrup, and buttermilk. Scrape the mixer bowl well, making sure everything is well incorporated. Add the diced Cheddar, 4 tbsp of the Parmesan, the bacon, and chives. Mix just until dispersed, folding by hand to be sure.
3. Fill the muffin cups to the very top.
4. In a small bowl toss the grated Cheddar with the remaining 2 tbsp Parmesan and sprinkle evenly over the muffins. Bake for about 15 minutes, until nicely browned but not over baked inside. Garnish with chopped rosemary.
5. These are best eaten the day they’re made.