- 1 pound Bacon, Diced
- 2 cups Collard Greens, De-Stemmed, Cooked and Chopped
- 1 medium sweet Onion, Diced
- 6 Organic Large Eggs
- 2 cups Heavy Whipping Cream
- 4 ounces Gruyere, Shredded
- 4 ounces Sharp Cheddar, Shredded
- Pinch of Nutmeg
- Kosher Salt & Pepper to Taste
- 1 Cup plus 3 Tablespoons King Arthur All-Purpose Flour
- 6 tablespoons Cold Organic Sweet Cream Unsalted Butter, Cubed
- 1 Large Organic Egg, Beaten
- Pinch of Kosher Salt
- In a food processor, combine the flour, butter and salt until the mixture is crumbly.-this should only take a few pulses. Add the egg, and pulse a few more times until the dough resembles little peas.
- Remove dough from processor and shape into a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for one-hour. When chilled, remove dough and roll out onto a lightly floured work-surface. Roll out the dough to be 2″ larger than the size in inches of your quiche pan.
- Fit dough into the quiche pan, remove excess and prick with a fork all over and then refrigerate for 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a skillet, over medium-low heat cook diced bacon until crisp. Remove bacon and drain. Pour out the bacon grease and add the diced onion to the same pan. Cook onions until soft and transparent. Add the bacon and collards to the onion pan. Toss to combine.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs and add in whipping cream, nutmeg and salt & pepper. Add the bacon mixture. Stir to combine.
- Remove crust from refrigerator. Sprinkle shredded Gruyere and cheddar as the bottom (first) layer in the crust. Pour in the cream mixture and spread evenly.
- Bake quiche for 40 – 55 minutes until set. Remove and let cool for 10 minutes. Slice and serve.
(c) 2013 Valerie Renèe