- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 pound andouille sausage, diced
- 1 (28-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 3 tsp Cajun or Creole seasoning
- 1 tsp Granulated Garlic
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp Frank’s hot sauce
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 pound frozen peeled shrimp, thawed
- 2 cups white long grain rice ( I prefer Canilla Golden Parboiled Rice)
- Fresh chopped parsley as garnish
- Prepare the ingredients for the crockpot: cut chicken, dice sausage, and chop the onion, green bell pepper, and celery stalk.
- In the crock pot combine chicken, sausage, tomatoes, onion, green pepper, celery, and chicken broth. Stir in oregano, pepper, cajun seasoning, granulated garlic, hot sauce, bay leaves, and thyme. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or on HIGH for 4 hours.
- Once the contents in the crockpot are done cooking, carefully remove the liquid. You will use this liquid to cook your rice in a separate pot. Cook the rice according to package directions using as much jambalaya liquid as possible;( 2 cups rice needs 4 cups liquid). Typically I can get 2 cups of liquid from the crock pot so I’ll use an additional 2 cups water. While rice is cooking, stir in the thawed shrimp in the crockpot, cover and cook until the shrimp are cooked (about 30 minutes). Once rice is done mix into the crock pot. Discard bay leaves, add fresh chopped parsley if desired, and serve.
(c)2015 Valerie Renèe