Reproductive Endocrinologist – the 411

Reproductive Endocrinologist - the 411

Today, after an infuriating exchange with my OB’s office, I decided to make an appointment with and start seeing an RE.

I have to undergo a battery of blood tests and baseline ultrasounds over the course of the next few months and I need a doctor I feel is capable of managing my care.

The difference between and RE and a OB/GYN:

RE stands for Reproductive Endocrinologist. REs complete the same educational and medical requirements as an OB/GYN (Obstetrician and Gynecologist) which is a four year residency in Obstretrics and Gynecology. In addition to the four year residency program, REs complete an additional three years of a fellowship in reproductive endocrinology. REs have special training that enable them to provide the treatment needed for couples facing fertility issues.

OB/GYNs have been trained in two specialities; an obstetrician manages pregnancies and a gynecologist is trained in reproductive health. An OB/GYN may offer services to treat fertility problems. However, when these preliminary tests and treatments do not resolve a fertility problem, an OB/GYN may refer the couple to a specialist, known as a Reproductive Endocrinologist.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s